Halloween Safety Tips for Your Dog

// ]]>


Happy Halloween! I thought it might be helpful to give a few tips on how to keep our pets happy and healthy for this fun holiday.

1. Keep all candy away from your dog. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs and of course sugar is not good for dogs either. It can make them sick.

2. Designate a safe spot for your dog indoors. Costumes can scare dogs. Costumes change the way we look, add that to unfamiliar people knocking on the door and your dog might run out the door. Also, Halloween is a night for pranks, most are harmless but your dog may not like an egg being thrown at them.

3. Glow sticks can be harmful. Make sure you dog does not chew on a glow stick. The chemicals inside of glow sticks can make your dog sick and burn their mouth.

4. Watch out for candy wrappers, they still smell yummy enough to eat even when the candy is all gone. They can become a choking hazard to your dog.

5. Be careful when using candles near your dog. Your dog may knock over a candle-lit pumpkin leading to burns or a fire. Consider using a battery-lit no flame candle instead, and as an extra bonus you can use it for many years to come.

If your dog or cat accidentally ingests any potentially harmful products and you need emergency advice, please consult your veterinarian or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 (a fee applies).  Have a safe and fun Halloween.

Leave a Reply